How Much Does a Wedding DJ Cost?
Need help figuring out how much your wedding DJ should cost? Don't worry - you're not alone! Many couples tell us they have no idea how much a DJ should cost, since they've never booked one before. This post covers exactly what a DJ costs as well as the factors you'll need to take into account when booking.
wedding dj prices
Wedding DJ prices throughout New Zealand can vary greatly depending on many factors. The price will factor in your wedding location, travel costs (and whether the DJ will need to stay overnight), half or full day package, your DJ’s years of experience and additional options required for your wedding such as wireless mics, lighting and playlists.
If you’re considering hiring a DJ to play at your wedding, keep in mind that the average wedding DJ cost in New Zealand starts from $1000, with top wedding DJs commanding fees from $2000 - $3000. Modern couples are typically investing more in their wedding DJs than in past years as they prioritise giving their families and friends the best possible experience.
What services do wedding DJs offer?
A wedding DJ can play music throughout the day, from the ceremony through til the end of the night, but most couples tend to just require the DJ for the evening, usually starting from around 8pm and playing til midnight. Some DJs can also offer MC services, but this is typically undertaken by a friend or family member for NZ couples. A great DJ not only has an outgoing and energetic personality, but will also “read the crowd” and play the right songs at the right moment, ensuring your dance floor is packed all night long. DJs typically provide their own sound equipment and some DJ agencies also provide services such as lighting and wireless mics.
What is included in a wedding DJ's price?
There’s a lot more to a wedding DJ’s role in your wedding day than simply showing up to your reception and playing music.
Your wedding DJ hire price includes:
- Time: Not only does the cost of a wedding DJ include the hours they will be performing at your wedding, it also includes preparation for your big day. Before your wedding, your DJ put time into researching and creating their set, and scheduling the order of songs. On your wedding day, your wedding DJ will travel, set up, perform, and pack out. The cost will include any time spent traveling (except if they are based near your venue).
- Equipment: Your DJ will have invested serious money - anywhere from $5000 to $10,000 - in top grade professional equipment ensuring great quality sound and enough volume to have your dancefloor popping.
- Music and software: Your DJ will have also invested in DJ software and the songs they need - no small matter when they often have over 5000 songs at their fingertips.
- Insurance: You’ll want to make sure that your DJ is insured—this protects you, your DJ, and your venue in the unlikely event that equipment is damaged or someone is injured due to equipment failure.
When should I book my wedding DJ?
After the venue, the wedding DJ is often one of the very first wedding suppliers a couple books. We recommend hiring your DJ 6 - 12 months prior to your wedding, to ensure you get the DJ you want. You may like to meet your DJ in person prior to the wedding to discuss your playlist, your timeline, and any other important details.
Do wedding DJs provide lighting?
Approximately 70% percent of wedding DJs offer lighting services as well as music, with the starting price for uplighting averaging around $400. If you’d like to have your wedding DJ provide lighting, there are a few questions you should ask before adding this service to your package:
- Have you provided lighting at my venue before?
- What types of lighting can you provide?
- Can I see photos of your past work?
- How much will lighting cost?
What questions should I ask my wedding dj?
A big part of finding the right DJ for your wedding is personality fit. There are several important questions we recommend asking your prospective wedding DJ or their agency before booking, including:
- How would you describe your style?
- Can we see your song list?
- What is included in your fee?
- Are there specific genres of music that you do/don't play?
- Will you create a custom playlist for our wedding?
- Can you recommend a first dance song?
- Have you worked at our venue before?
- What equipment do you use?
- Do you require a meal on the night?
- Do you offer additional services like lighting?
- Are you insured?
Want some help choosing the right wedding DJ? Since 2008, we've been helping couples like you put together the wedding of their dreams. Let's talk! Check out our wedding DJs or get in touch with us to discuss your requirements.